jamming parts, make sure all parts are fitted pro-
perly and any other conditions that might affect
the functioning of the machine are favourable;
- If not stated otherwise in this manual, damaged
safety devices and machine parts must be repai-
red or replaced by a recognized service centre.
Damaged switches must be replaced by a service
centre. Do not use the machine when it cannot
be switched on or off.
Have your tool repaired by an expert!
This electric appliance is in accordance with the
relevant safety rules. Repairing of electric applian-
ces may be carried out only by experts other wise
it may cause considerable danger for the user.
For your own safety use only accessories
and attachments recommended in this
manual or the catalogue. The use of other
than the stated accessories or attach-
ments may cause injuries.
2. SPECIFIC SAFETY RULES
BEFORE USING THE MACHINE:
1. Check the following points:
- do the voltage of the engine and the engine
safeguard, if any, correspond to the mains
voltage (appliances for a mains voltage of
230V~50Hz can be connected to a mains vol-
tage of 220V~50Hz without any problems);
- use an earthed power source (wall socket);
- are the mains lead and the mains plug in a good
condition: strong, without ravels or damages;
- is the Belt sander/grinder well mounted on a
2. For functional reasons the turning parts of this
machine are not covered. Therefore it is of
utmost importance to be careful. Hold the
workpiece firmly, to prevent it from slipping
from your hands. Never touch the sanding or
grinding surfaces with your hands.
3. A grinding stone is fragile. The stone is easily
damaged when being dropped, hit, etc. Always
grind with the face of the grinding stone, never the
sides. Acracked grinding stone must be replaced
immediately. Due to the high rotational velocity
the stone might disintegrate, causing accidents.
4. Always wear safety classes during sanding and
5. Never operate the grinding machine without the
guard in place.
6. The maximum clearance between the tool rest
and the grinding stone must never exceed 1-1.5
mm. The belt of the belt sander should just be
cleared from the tool rest.
7. Use the grinding stone only for its intended pur-
pose, e.g. for grinding tools, never for heavy-
duty construction work.
8. Never rebore the arbor hole in the grinding sto-
ne to widen the diameter.
WHEN USING THE MACHINE:
1. Check if the switch is not in the ON position (1)
before the mains plug is connected to the mains
2. Always keep the mains cable away from moving
parts of the machine.
3. Use safety glasses.
4. Use a dust mask.
IMMEDIATELY SWITCH OFF THE MACHI-
NE IN CASE OF:
1. a overheated machine;
2. malfunction of the mainsplug, -socket or dama-
3. defective switch;
4. smoke or smell caused by scorched insulation.
3. ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
Recycling raw materials is prefered to dumping them
as waste. To prevent the machine from being damaged
during transport its packing must be strong. Insofar as
possible the packing consists of recyclable materials
such as paper, cardboard and wood.
4. FERM’S AFTER SALES SERVICE
Save the original packing. Should you ever have to
move the Belt sander/grinder there is less risk of
damage in the original packing. Should your Belt san-
der/grinder become defective, please consult your
local Ferm dealer.
1. The Belt sander/grinder is fitted with a three-
core cable and earthed plug. Therefore, always
connect the plug to an earthed socket.
2. Try to avoid the use of long extension cables. If
you have to use an extension cable, make sure it
is 3 core and fitted with an earthed plug and
3. The Belt sander/grinder has to be secured to
the bench by means of bolts. The length of the
bolts depends on the thickness of the bench.
THE NUMBERS BELOW REFER TO THE
ILLUSTRATION ON PAGE 30:
1. Cover glass;
2. Guard for grinding stone;
3. Grinding stone;
4. Tool rest;