30 Room Air Conditioner
Maintenance and Service
The air conditioner may be operating abnormally when:
■ The air conditioner is
■ The fuse is blown/circuit
breaker is tripped.
■ Power failure.
■ Airflow is restricted.
■ The thermostat may not be
set high enough.
■ The air filter is dirty.
■ The room may have been
■ Cold air is escaping.
■ Cooling coils have iced up.
■ Ice blocks the air flow and
stops the air conditioner from
cooling the room.
does not start
does not cool
as it should
• Make sure the air conditioner plug is
pushed completely into the outlet.
• Check the house fuse/circuit breaker
box and replace the fuse or reset the
• If power failure occurs, turn the mode
control to Off.
When power is restored, wait 3
minutes to restart the air conditioner
to prevent tripping of the compressor
• Make sure there are no curtains,
blinds, or furniture blocking the front of
the air conditioner.
• Turn the knob to a higher number.
The highest setting provides
• Clean the filter at least every 2 weeks.
See the care and Maintenance
• When the air conditioner is first turned
on, you need to allow time for the
room to cool down.
• Check for open furnace floor registers
and cold air returns.
• See Air Conditioner Freezing Up
• Set the mode control at High Fan or
High Cool with thermostat at 1 or 2.
What To DoPossible Causes
* You can refer to the Energy Star program in detail at www.energystar.gov.