1. WELCOME Congratulations on choosing Charleston, the universal Bluetooth handsfree speaker from novero. Charleston is a high quality Bluetooth speaker with novel metal texture and newest wireless technology. Please read this user guide carefully before use. Bluetooth is a standard of short range radio communication technology for the purpose of high transmission rate among portable devices, like mobile phones, computers, printers, PDAs and other devices. (See also Glossary entry for Bluetooth, chapter 8). You can enjoy your music wired and wirelessly and make phone calls by using your Charleston. It has the following features: 1
Pairing with a Bluetooth mobile phone or iPad supporting HFP profile. _ Answer a call, end a call and reject a call _ Redial last number _ Voice dial, if supported by your mobile phone
Pairing with a Bluetooth music device supporting A2DP profile. _ Enjoy music wirelessly with APT-X
Switch easily between call and music, you will not miss the incoming call while listening to music.
4 When the speaker is turned on, it will automatically re-connect to the last connected handsfree device. Note
Even though both the paired device and the speaker support the same Bluetooth profiles, functions may vary due to specification and version differences of the paired devices. Please check your device manual if you are missing functions.
2. SAFETY Using Charleston Turn the volume down to its lowest level. – Then put the speaker on and slowly adjust the volume to a comfortable level. To prevent possible hearing damage, do not listen at high volume levels for long periods. If you experience discomfort or ringing in your ears, stop using the speaker immediately and consult a physician. Continued use at high volume may accustom your ears to the sound level and result in permanent damage to your hearing without any noticeable discomfort. Using your speaker while operating a motor vehicle, motorcycle, watercraft or bicycle may be dangerous, and is illegal in some jurisdictions. Please respect local laws. If you use a hearing aid or other electronic medical device, please consult your physician before using the speaker. Never try to dismantle the product yourself. None of the internal components can be replaced or repaired by users. – Only authorized dealers or service centers may open the
product. If any parts of your product require replacement for any reason, including normal wear and tear or breakage, contact your dealer. Radio frequency exposure Your Bluetooth speaker is radio transmitter and receiver. When in operation, it communicates with Bluetooth equipped mobile devices by receiving and transmitting radio frequency (RF) electromagnetic fields in the frequency range around 2400 - 2483,5 MHz. The output power of the radio transmitter is low, app. 0.001 watt. Your Bluetooth speaker is designed to operate in compliance with the RF exposure guidelines and limits set by national authorities and international health agencies when used with any compatible Bluetooth device.
Keep out of reach of children The plastic bags, which this product and its parts are wrapped in, are not toys for children. The bags themselves or the small parts they contain may cause choking if ingested.
ACA TS028 – Ignition of flammable atmospheres Do not use your speaker in environments with risk of ignition of flammable gases.
4. HOW TO TO USE 4.1 Charging Charleston Your Charleston comes with a built-in rechargeable battery. Prior to using it for the first time, it is recommended to completely charge the battery. When the speaker is in low power status, the red LED flashes and the speaker emit a tone every 30 seconds. Please recharge the battery of the speaker. Connect the provided USB cable to an compatible AC-charger, computer or laptop USB port. The red LED is on while charging. It takes about 2.5 hours to charge the battery. When charging is completed, the red LED is switched off. Note
When the battery is flat it needs app. 30 minutes of charging before starting the Bluetooth music streaming or other speaker function again.
4.2 Positioning the speaker Charleston is small and portable. Please use it on flat surfaces where the “rubber” feet assures best grip. Do not place it on uneven surfaces or on moving vehicles as the bass could make it slip and it might get damaged.
4.3 Connecting the speaker via 3.5 mm audio cable Prior to using your Charleston, you have to turn it on. Now add the audio cable to your device and to Charleston. Now start your music player on the device. You can now hear your music out of the speaker. Note
When the audio cable is connected the MFB does not work. You have to control all functions from your phone or other device. The speaker also needs the battery when being connected to an audio cable. Please assure minimum of 30 minutes pure charging before using it with cable after the battery was flat.
4.4 Pairing Charleston with Bluetooth devices Prior to using your Charleston, you have to pair it with a Bluetooth-enabled device, e.g. your mobile phone, music player or PC/laptop. How to enter pairing mode? mode? Function
Entering pairing mode
Ensure the speaker is turned on, and then press and hold MFB button for 6 seconds until LED flashes red and blue alternately
LED flashes red and blue alternately
Pairing mode sound
Pairing mode will last 3 minutes. If the speaker still cannot pair with any Bluetooth device after 3 minutes, it will automatically return to standby mode in order to save power.
Pairing the speaker with a Bluetooth enabled mobile phone The pairing procedures are specific for different mobile phone models and brands. Please refer to your mobile phone’s user manual for further information. The general pairing procedure is as follows: 1. Make sure the mobile phone and the speaker are within Bluetooth range (i.e. not more than 10 meter apart). 2. Enter the speaker’s pairing mode (please refer to chapter 4.4 “How to enter pairing mode?”); 3. Activate your mobile phone’s Bluetooth function and set your mobile phone to search for Bluetooth devices. After the search is completed, select the “Charleston” from the Bluetooth device list. 4. According to the indication, “confirm” to allow connection or enter password or PIN No. ”0000” and press “yes”. 5. After successful pairing, select “Charleston” in the Bluetooth device list and press “connect”. 6. After successfully connecting, the blue LED flashes once every 5 seconds. Note Note
_ If pairing fails, please turn off the speaker first and then repeat pairing according to steps 1 to 6 mentioned above.
_ If the Bluetooth version of your mobile phone is V2.1 or above, there is no need to enter the pairing password when the speaker pairs with your mobile phone. _ Every time the speaker is turned on, it will automatically connect to the last connected device. If you want to pair it with other devices, please turn off the Bluetooth function of your last connected devices first and pair the speaker with the new device according to steps 1 to 6 mentioned above. 4.5 Turning on/off Charleston Please use the switch to power on and off. Every time your Charleston is turned on, it will automatically connect to the last connected handsfree device. When the speaker is in standby mode and doesn’t connect to any device, press the MFB for 6 seconds to get in pairing mode. In order to save power, the speaker will only stay in pairing mode for 3 minutes. If you forget to turn it off after the connection has been stopped a beep will be heard every few minutes. Please be aware that the battery will run empty. Before connecting to a Bluetooth device, please turn on the Bluetooth function of the device. With some Bluetooth phones, you have to allow automatic connecting in the mobile phone’s Bluetooth settings. Please refer to your mobile phone’s user manual for further information. 4.6 Music playback with Charleston After pairing and connecting your speaker to a Bluetooth mobile phone or Bluetooth music player, you can enjoy your music with the speaker. Please control your music via your device. Note
_ When playing music on some mobile phones, the music will be transmitted to the mobile phone’s speaker instead of the portable speaker. You have to select “transmit the sound via Bluetooth” in the settings menu and then choose “novero Charleston” as speaker device. The music will be transmitted to the speaker. Please refer to your mobile phone’s user manual for further information. _ Please control previous/next track, pause/play from your mobile phone or music player. Please refer to the user manual of your mobile phone or music player for further information.
4.7 Making calls calls with Charleston After pairing and connecting the speaker to a Bluetooth mobile phone, you can use it for handsfree telephony: Function
Answer a call Incoming call ringing
Short press MFB button
A short tone
End a call
During a call
Short press MFB button
A long tone
Reject a call
Incoming call ringing
Press and hold MFB button for 3 seconds until hearing indication tone
A short tone
Redial last number
Long press MFB button
A short tone
Short press on MFB button (if A short tone supported the phone will ask for the name to call)
During a call
Use your phone
During a call
Use your phone
During a call
Press and hold MFB button for 3 seconds until hearing indication tone
A long tone
Status of Charleston
_ Not all mobile phones support all functions as listed above. Please refer to your mobile phone’s user manual for further information. _ When pressing the answer button on some mobile phones, the call will be transferred to the mobile phone. You have to manually switch the call to the speaker then. Please refer to your mobile phone’s user manual for further information.
5. MAINTENANCE AND C ARE Read the following recommendations before using your Charleston. Following these you will be able to enjoy the product for many years. _ Do not expose the speaker to liquid, moisture or humidity to avoid the product’s internal circuit being affected. _ Do not use abrasive cleaning solvents to clean the speaker. _ Store the speaker out of direct sunlight and extreme temperatures (above 45°C/113°F or below -10°C/-14°F), as this may shorten the battery life, affect the operation or degrade the performance of your speaker. _ Do not dispose of the speaker in a fire as it might result in an explosion. _ Do not expose the speaker to contact with sharp objects as this will cause scratches and damage. _ Do not let the speaker fall down onto the floor. The internal circuit might get damaged. _ Do not attempt to disassemble the speaker as it might get damaged. In case the speaker does not function properly, consult your dealer for further assistance.
6. FAQ How far is the effective range between the speaker and the Bluetooth device? device? According to the Bluetooth standard, the maximum controllable range of Class II speaker is 10 meters. It varies under different conditions. Best performance can be expected when you place your device beside the speaker Why does the red LED flash? The speaker battery is in low power status, it needs to be recharged. Try to discharge and re-charge full cycles. Why can’t I connect to the speaker? Please make sure your Bluetooth list on your device is empty and that you are not connected to another Bluetooth device . (automatic connection to a headset e.g). Please press the MFB on the speaker 6 seconds to get into pairing mode. Why can’t I see the battery status on my Android phone The battery status of the speaker can only be shown on apple devices like iPhone or iPad. Why is the red LED not on while charging? 1. When you didn’t use the speaker for a long time, the battery might be drained. In this case, you have to charge the battery for 30 minutes, and then the red LED will be on. 2. Charging via PC or laptop might be interrupted due to standby mode of the PC/laptop. Please try using a standard AC- micro USB charger.
What to do when my mobile phone cannot search and find the speaker? speaker? The mobile phone will not find the speaker if the speaker and mobile phone are not under the pairing mode. Make sure the speaker is under the pairing mode and in the effective working range, and then the speaker can search for it. Sometimes you have to delete your device pairing list before you can add a new Bluetooth device and assure you are not connected to another Bluetooth device. Why can’t I hear the voice from the speaker? speaker? 1. Make sure the speaker is turned on. 2. Ensure the volume of the mobile phone is not too low. 3. Make sure the speaker connects well with your mobile phone. 4. Ensure the distance between the speaker and your mobile phone is in the normal range of 10 meters. Why is there no voice when making a call with the speaker? speaker? 1. Make sure your mobile phone is in the strong signal area. 2. Ensure the speaker is in the functional range of up to 10 meters.
7. TECHNICAL S PECIFICATIONS Bluetooth specification
HSP v1.2, HFP v1.5, A2DP v1.2 APT-X
10 meters, Class II
Built-in, rechargeable Li-Ion battery
Working times times
Music: Up to 16h (normal volume) Music: up to 8h (max volume) Talk: Up to 12h
Up to 300h
8. GLOSSARY Bluetooth is a radio technology that connects devices, such as mobile phones and speakers, without wires or cords over a short distance (approx. 10 meters/33 feet). Bluetooth is safe to use and secure, too. Once two Bluetooth devices have been paired, both will share functionality (speaker, microphone) in a predefined mode of operation. Get more information at www.bluetooth.com
Bluetooth profiles are the different ways that Bluetooth devices communicate with other devices. Bluetooth phones support the speaker profile, the handsfree profile or both. In order to support a certain profile, a phone manufacturer must implement certain mandatory features within the software of the phone. HFP = Handsfree 1.5 specification defines the minimum set of functions such that a Mobile Phone can be used in conjunction with a Hands-Free device (speaker or headset etc.), with a Bluetooth® Link providing a wireless means for both remote control of the Mobile Phone by the Hands-Free device and voice connections between the Mobile Phone and the Hands-Free device. A2DP profile defines how high quality audio can be streamed from one device to another over a Bluetooth connection. For example, music can be streamed from a mobile phone, to a wireless headset, hearing aid & cochlear implant streamer, car audio, or from a laptop/desktop to a wireless headset. aptX aptX® Lossless supports high-definition audio up to 96 kHz sampling rates and sample resolutions up to 24 bits. The codec optionally permits a "hybrid" coding scheme for applications where average and/or peak compressed data rates must be capped at a constrained level. This involves the dynamic application of a form of "near lossless" coding – but only for those short sections of audio where completely lossless coding cannot respect the bandwidth constraints. Even for those short periods while the "near lossless" coding is active, high-definition audio quality is maintained, retaining audio frequencies up to 20 kHz and a dynamic range of at least 120 dB. Idle (not paired) is the mode where your speaker is turned on but not paired to a Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone or player. LED is an acronym for light-emitting diode and refers to the light indicator of your speaker that sends different red or blue signals depending on specific actions, events or modes. Pairing creates a unique and encrypted connection between two Bluetooth devices. Bluetooth devices will not work together if they have not been paired. Password or PIN is the code required to pair a Bluetooth device (e.g. a mobile phone) with another Bluetooth device. Standby is the mode where your speaker is turned on, paired and ready for outgoing or incoming calls. When a call is ended, the speaker automatically returns to standby mode.
9. APPENDIX 9.1 Disposal Dispose of all product parts in accordance with local regulations. If in doubt, please consult your local authorities. The battery of the speaker needs to be recycled. Do not attempt to replace the built-in battery in your speaker. The crossed-out wheeled bin means that within the European Union the product must be taken to separate collection at the product end-of-life. Do not dispose of these products as unsorted municipal waste.
For recycling companies only To remove the speaker battery, detach the bottom plate and use a screwdriver to open the bottom. Remove the battery and dispose of it in a battery disposal bin. 9.2 Warranty Your Charleston has a limited one-year (1) warranty. novero warrants this product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship (subject to the terms set forth below) for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase (“warranty period”). During the warranty period, novero will repair or replace this product or any defective parts at novero’s discretion (“warranty service”). If repair or replacement is not commercially practicable or cannot be completed in a timely manner, novero may choose to issue you a refund of the purchase price paid for the affected product. Repair or replacement under the terms of this warranty does not give the right to any extension or new beginning of the warranty period. The warranty does not cover normal wear and tear or defects caused by rough handling. Claims under the warranty: To obtain warranty service, please contact the novero dealer from whom you purchased this product or visit www.novero.com for further information about customer service. You need to return this product to the place where you have bought it in either the original box or packaging affording an equal degree of protection. You will bear the cost of shipping the product to novero. If the product is covered by the warranty, novero will bear the cost of shipping the product back to you after completion of the warranty service. Return shipping will be charged to you for products not covered by the warranty or requiring no warranty service. For more support and further information, please go to www.novero.com. Certification and safety approvals European Union - Declaration Declaration of conformity conformity Hereby, novero declares that this NBSP-2 product is in compliance with the essential requirements and other relevant provisions of Directive 1999/5/EC. A copy of the Declaration of Conformity can be found at www.novero.com/declaration_of_conformity.
FCC This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: 1. This device may not cause harmful interference; and